Saturday, August 22, 2009

How many snooty birdwatchers are out there?

image

I hate to point out the white elephant in the room but the sport of bird watching has a problem.  A fair amount of birders are arrogant and unforthcoming with information.  I personally don’t see the point in not sharing the passion I have for birds and birding. 

There are a number of “snooty” moments I have stored in the back of my brain.  Early when I first started going places to see new birds I encountered this attitude of your not worthy.  Maybe because I had an interest in birding in my 30’s and didn’t have the elitist binocular brands or clothing.  Or was the attitude I was given on that Hawk watch platform up north, directed towards me having a 2year old in a back pack and a six year old tagging along.  Who knows but I didn’t let it discourage me.  It only altered my behavior, which I’m just realizing was because of that early experience of being snubbed. 

My outlook on group events changed.  I did not want or need to go on birding outings that I saw advertised in various media outlets.  If I encountered a group along a New Jersey trail I would smile and walk by.  This was a learned behavior there was no reward for engaging others in my passion.  Now if every bird watching outing was a positive experience the learned response would be different.

I’m here to tell you the moral of the story.  Avoid letting a few change your attitude and enthusiasm to share the Avian world with anyone and everyone.  I can walk into any room and find something birdy to say or share with complete strangers.  Or if I’m in the woods I feel that those in the woods with me are friends, and any information I have to expand their enjoyment of the woods I will share. 

I still revert back to my earlier behavior from time to time.  But for every bird snob out there, there are 2 passionate birders that yield that energy to all they come in contact with.  Be a snob if you have to, but don’t expect me to look up to your stuck up nose!

image

No comments:

Post a Comment